Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Week in Review

WHAT A WEEK! Seriously, this was a crazy one! Let me take you back and start from the beginning!

First of all, a typical week in the Checketts household actually runs from Wednesday to Wednesday, unlike the traditional family's Sunday to Sunday, thanks to Ken's crazy job. So my story actually begins last Tuesday night...

Ken is constantly hurting himself at work, he works on a drilling rig, its kind of unavoidable, so when he texted me on Tuesday night (just a few hours before he was supposed to start heading home) and began his text with "Sorry Baby, bad news..." I figured he had cut his hand, or twisted his ankle or some other small injury. When he then proceeded to tell me that he had SMASHED his hand under a 10,000lb pipe I started to worry, but he didn't seem all that concerned so I figured it couldn't be too serious. Again I was WRONG. But it had been about half an hour and he never answered my questions about broken bones or trips to the hospital and I was heading into a Zumba class so I just assumed if he was in any real mortal danger he would have called atleast, and what could happen to a smashed hand in just an hour? Well when I finished my class I had about 10 texts and 2 messages from Ken telling me he was in fact in the hospital getting his hand x-rayed, and he was SURE that with that kind of impact he fingers had to have been crushed. Well now I was in full blown worry mode! And I couldn't even get a hold of him because he was not allowed to use his phone during x-rays or when he was talking to the doctor, plus he was over 3 hours away so I had no idea whether or not I would need to drive there to help! Finally he called me back with news and said that the doctors were completely blown away because there were NO BROKEN BONES! His right ring finger has practically exploded (Ken uses the example of a hotdog in the microwave for too long haha) with the impact and he would need stitches, but the bones were all sound, not even a fracture! WHAT A MIRACLE! 10,000lbs and no damage to the bone, my husband must be BIONIC or something, because thats incredible! Anyway his middle finger and pinky were just badly bruised and he is very sore, but we are incredibly grateful to the gaurdian angels looking out for him!

Thursday I went into the dentist to have a few cavaties filled and was informed that one of my affected teeth had been filled previously and that filling was large and had broken, coming dangerously close to the root so I would need a crown instead of just the filling I was expecting... I wasn't too suprised but I had NO IDEA what a crown entailed... So when I felt that pretty much my entire tooth had been drilled off I was a little shocked! Well everything went smoothly with the procedure (until I found out how much that crap costs!! OUCH!!) I was sized for my procelain crown and recieved my temporary and I was sent home. I have never had this done before so I was unaware exactly what to expect as far as pain later... And there had been A LOT of pain! I usually have a pretty high threshold for pain, but this seemed extreme, so I called the dentist a few days later and told him about it. He of course wanted x-rays and decided that yes, I was in need of a ROOT CANAL. Awesome. Atleast there will be no pain later! Oh the joys of trips to the dentist. He is making a good living off me this month...

Friday night Ken took me out on a date! It was so fun! We didn't really want to drive all the way to Lubbock and spend a bunch of money, so we loaded up the dogs in the truck, got some fast food and drove out into the country. We pulled over on an old dirt road, let the dogs out to run and sat in the bed of the truck to eat, watch the dogs play, and see the sunset! I LOVE my roughneck husband! It was probably the best cheap date we have been on in a LONG time! <3

Saturday Ken was so sweet and even though he had pains all his own, he felt bad that I was in so much pain and decided to help make me feel better... So he took me SHOPPING! All you girls out there know how much that helps ;) I got 2 new dresses for church! I've been in desperate need of a new skirt or dress so I was so ecstatic to find a couple dresses that I LOVE! And we found them at Ross so we spent less than 30$! You can't beat that! Now all I need are some great black boots!! :)

Monday was all about Ken, I was so grateful for my shopping trip that I allowed him one! However his idea of a shopping trip is the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of mine! We spent the day driving around town scoping out old, used, seemingly unwanted toys (3 or 4 wheelers, dirtbikes, ect...) It was actually alot of fun and we weren't disappointed at the end of the day! We came home with two 3 wheelers and a dirtbike! And the best part is they were all FREE!!! Now of course they are all old and need work, but I don't think there is anything in the world Ken likes more than tinkering with old gadgets and actually getting them to work! And we figure between the three 3 wheelers we now have we should have enough parts to put together atleast 1 decent one! And Ken has already gotten the dirtbike running! It needs a few repairs to be safe for riding, but its always a good sign when I hear an engine come to life in our backyard!!

The best parts of this week have been the WONDERFUL WARM WEATHER (It was 70-80 degrees all week! We broke out the shorts and summer clothes and it was GREAT!) and finding out that my little sisters and brother are coming! HELLO SPRING BREAK! They will coming down in about a month and I CANNOT WAIT!! It will be so much fun!

It was quite the week, but I LOVE having a whole week off with Ken! Its really hard having him gone for an entire week, but the week get to spend together is always crazy and fun and I love having that time with him!

P.S. Pictures to come soon!


Connie said...

I am so sorry about the root canal and crown...just went through this myself. It is so expensive and painful. Much love. Aunt Connie
ps so happy ken is okay.

Post a Comment